Regulatory Update #141
22 December 2011 - 19 January 2012
Better regulation reforms new documents released
The APVMA recently published two documents as an aid to the Australian Government’s reform of agricultural and veterinary chemical regulation (external site).
The documents include an Overview of APVMA Operations and Future Direction, and the Continuation Framework. These documents are part of a comprehensive collection that we are developing to describe the policies and processes for the assessment and management of risk across our regulatory activities. The collection — known as the Risk Compendium — is designed to help clients, stakeholders and the community better understand our regulatory requirements and processes. It will also serve as a transparency measure, informing stakeholders more broadly and adding to public confidence.
Initial consultation has recently closed on a third document in the compendium — the Risk Analysis Framework. We anticipate releasing a revised document following consideration of stakeholder comments and redrafting.
New advisory board members sought
Applications are now open for the appointment of part-time members to the APVMA Advisory Board (external site). The board provides advice and recommendations to the chief executive officer in relation to the functions of the APVMA. Expressions of interest close at 5 pm Canberra time on 20 February 2012.
Labelling reference group nominations close 27 January
Expressions of interest are sought by 27 January 2012 from stakeholders who would like to be involved in a labelling reference group to help develop and provide advice on operational matters relating to the implementation of new labelling arrangements under the first tranche of Better Regulation Reforms for agvet chemicals.
New compilation of Agricultural and Veterinary Chemicals Code Act 1994
A new compilation of the Agricultural and Veterinary Chemicals Code Act 1994 was registered on 3 January 2012 and is availableon ComLaw (external site).
Improving stakeholder engagement
The APVMA is gearing up to review the way we engage and consult with our stakeholders. More details on improving how we work and communicate with you will be available on our website soon. In the meantime, we welcome your feedback by email.
Registration for VMDA seminar on GMP closes 7 February
Three one day Good Manufacturing Practice (GMP) seminars for industry will be held in Sydney (14 February), Melbourne (15 February) and Brisbane (16 February). The program was developed in consultation with the APVMA and has the theme ‘Quality Assurance and Quality Management’. Registration closes on 7 February 2012. For more information, including the draft program and registration form, see the VMDA website (external site).
Stay in touch
If you know anyone else who would be interested in receiving this information on a reqular basis, please forward this email and encourage them to subscribe online.
We also welcome feedback on Regulatory Update—we would love to hear your thoughts on the usefulness, timeliness, presentation aspects, or any other suggestions you might have to improve its overall usefulness.
Public consultation on chemicals of security concern
In February 2012, the Attorney-General’s Department (AGD) will call for public submissions on a consultation regulation impact statement (RIS) that analyses four options for reducing the security risks posed by a number of chemicals that can be used to make homemade explosives. AGD is particularly interested in feedback from businesses that import, manufacture, distribute, transport, handle or use products containing the chemicals.
For further information on the RIS, including the list of precursor chemicals and details on how to make a submission, please refer to the AGD Chemical Security program website (external site). You can also call AGD on (02) 6141 2925 or (02) 6141 3012.
Reminder - open for public consultation
The APVMA is seeking input on two documents of strategic importance to the way the APVMA operates: our 2012–15 Corporate Plan 2012-15 and the APVMA Interim Cost Recovery Arrangements 2012-15.
- APVMA Corporate Plan 2012-15 until 31 January 2012
- Proposed variation to registration of Bogard 100 WG Foliar Fungicide containing the existing active constituent difenoconazole until 31 January 2012
- Proposed variation to registration of Paramite Selective Miticide containing the existing active constituent etoxazole until 31 January 2012
- Proposed registration of the new active piroctone olamine in the product MediDerm Gentle Medicated Shampoo until 31 January 2012
- Amendment to the standard for the active constituent fosetyl-aluminium until 31 January 2012
- Proposed variation to registration of Amulet Gel Insecticide containing the existing active constituents fipronil until 1 February 2012
- Proposed variation to registration of Crop Care Intervix Herbicide for Clearfield Crops containing the existing active constituents imazamox and imazapyr until 1 February 2012
- Proposed registration of new active constituent prosulfuron until 15 February 2012
- Proposed registration of new active constituent fluxapyroxad until 15 February 2012
- APVMA interim cost recovery arrangements 2012–15 until 28 February 2012
Advice Summaries published since the last issue are listed below. For a complete list and further information, please refer to the Advice Summaries content on our website.
- Bovatec 20CC Lasalocid Sodium Premix
- Paw Pure Animal Wellbeing Osteosupport Joint Care Powder For Cats
- Ravensdown Blade 240EC Herbicide
- Timorex Gold Fungicide
- Shiba Fungicide
- Antifouling Seaquantum Ultra
- Scorpio Ornamental Fungicide
- Synovan Injection For Dogs
- Hymenopthor Ultra Granular Insect Bait
No new Application Summaries have been published.